elmo birthday cake inspired by michelle cake designs

elmo birthday cake inspired by michelle cake designs

by inspiredbymichelle on March 29, 2011

in Elmo cakes,birthday cake ideas,cakes for girls,pink cakes

Elmo birthday cake inspired by michelle cake designs

Elmo cakes are very popular and this one was made for as a 2nd birthday cake.

This design is a great way of having an elmo cake without the fuss of sculpting the cake or making a figurine.

Having elmo’s face on the top and bright colours is all you need to light up the face of a two year old!!!

Little number 2′s were added to the centre of some of the larger spots and the fondant balls around the base of the cake are always popular with small children – often they are satisfied with just having one of those!!!

I added two candles on the board when I took these photo but the space had been left for a special elmo number 2 candle for the birthday girl to blow out!!

I have other elmo cake designs on this blog – just type elmo in the search box on the right hand side of this page and it will take you to them.

Bye for now, Michelle

Michelle Rea

Inspired by Michelle Cake Designs

Related Posts with Thumbnails If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

Related posts

{ 17 comments… read them below or add one }

Denise Bennett March 29, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Dear Michelle
We all just love the simplicity of your designs. When you have so many ideas running through your head about a particular design it is hard to cut back – you do it easily with stunning results. Congratulations.
Denise B

inspiredbymichelle March 29, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Thank you Denise, sometimes I worry that I keep the designs too simple!!

Noura May 8, 2011 at 6:13 am

Hi Michelle!!

I was on Facebook playing around and I saw one of your cakes linked to someones page. I had to click on your profile to see your cake photos. I really like the simplicity of your designs. I particularly love this Elmo cake and I’d really like to get more info on how you made Elmo’s face. Do you mind giving me the directions? I would love to surprise my best friend’s son with this cake. Elmo’s his best character.

inspiredbymichelle May 8, 2011 at 6:39 am

Hi Noura, this design is very easy to do. Just start by drawing the Elmo face on paper then cut out the different elements (eyes, nose, mouth, head etc) so that you create templates. You can use image search or a colouring book to get the face picture to start with – make sure it will fit on the top of your cake. Then it is just a matter of tracing these templates on to your rolled fondant and cutting out. Put the black of the mouth down first then the red head etc etc.
I hope this helps.
Bye for now, Michelle

Ragnhildur May 28, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Hello, I love your cakes, so elegant design! I would like to ask how you make the letters? is it made of fondant, and do you have some special cutters for them?

inspiredbymichelle May 28, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Hi, the writing on the cake board is piped using royal icing and in this case a number 2 piping tube. The number 2′s on some of the spots are made using a ruler cutter and fondant rolled out very thinly.
Thanks for visiting!! Bye for now, Michelle

Jill Duncan August 15, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Good afternoon. I have spend over an hour looking at your work! It is AMAZING! I also noticed someone mentioned you have videos on You Tube. How would I find them??? Also I seen a Elmo cake with Elmo sitting up and his legs crossed. Any info on how you assembled and decorated it?? My Grand daughter LOVES Elmo!

THANKS! Jill Duncan

inspiredbymichelle August 15, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Hi Jill, most of the videos can also be found at the top of every page of my blog under the tutorials tab or just type in Inspired by Michelle in to YouTube and you should find them. The Elmo was a cake topper which is really easy to make – I used the same method as the shaggy fondant teddy bear video. Having a cake topper means that your grand daughter would be able to keep Elmo in a display box after the cake is served!! This is the link to the tutorials page http://inspiredbymichelleblog.com/cake-decorating-tutorials/

jackie October 24, 2011 at 12:00 pm

I love this cake and am going to try and make it for my daughters birthday. how do you attach fondant pieces to the sides without them slipping?

inspiredbymichelle October 24, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Hi Jackie, I attach mine with the tiniest amount of water – if yours are slipping then you have way too much water. Have fun with this cake. Bye for now, Michelle

atl2mom November 17, 2011 at 8:10 pm

I just love this cake! Beautiful. Where did you get that base of the cake in that green color? I am looking for that, looks stunning with that cake. Thanks.

inspiredbymichelle November 17, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Thank you, I just covered my cake board in the green fondant.

Iris January 15, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Hi Michelle..
Just love your work.. How do you make this efondant balls.. They are all so even… May I please know your trick… Thanks
Do you have any plans to come to mumbai india and conduct a few classes.. Let me know
Thanks
Iris

inspiredbymichelle January 15, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Hi Iris, I roll the fondant into a thin smooth tube (about 1cm in thickness) then I cut into equal pieces (you can use a ruler) then each piece is rolled into the ball.
I do not have plans at this stage but if the demand was there I would definitely come and teach. I have been to Mumbai before and loved it!! Thank you for asking. Bye for now, Michelle

Bonnie July 20, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Your work is absolutely amazing! I am not sure if your cake is covered in fondant or icing but I have tried several attempts to make the dark pink in buttercream to no prevail. Could you please tell me what color(s) you used to achieve that perfect dark pink? Thank you so much!

inspiredbymichelle July 21, 2012 at 2:15 am

Hi Bonnie, I use fondant and to get the dark hot pink I use Wilton rose rosado gel paste – I hope that helps you. Bye for now, Michelle

Erin Phillips February 18, 2013 at 2:13 am

I attempted to make my daughter a similar cake and was quite happy with the results :)